Friday, November 03, 2006

Sania Mirza

The Lawn and the Dancers over It.
There is something about lawn tennis, I cannot put my finger on it, even if we don’t play this game, all of us love watching it be it men or girls tennis. There was a time when women used to play: Billie Jean, Chris Evert Lloyd, as I grow old, younger girls is taking control of the lawn tennis.

I did not play it ever, but I have been watching it constantly, its enjoyable to watch a coffee mug in hand, you don’t notice where time flew off. Many times Navratilova stole my time; Monica Seles with her resounding grunts on my TV and all over the world took my time, German specimen Staffi Graf, her control over the game was like a lion on a deer throat. Maria Sharapova a doll from silver screen is an ace of tennis to watch. William sisters has all advantage of hitting the ball where they desire, my mother watches a set or 2 regularly, the line boys and girl have no favorites, with their calls, someday I hope our judges will become like them.

Eureka!! The game is so well defined 2 opponents facing each other a fence like net separating them a small area in green color, every angle covered by fixed cameras, there is no diversion watching this game, its simple, transparent hit the ball out of reach of your opponent, the talent lies in outwitting her within the chalk lined boundaries of your own court, this game is addictive wither we are in the stands out there or on the cushions in here. There is no clutter of big fields, mixing of opposition giving chance to foul play, fouls, foul language. The cleanliness of the game is superb.

Cleanliness is next to godliness this proverb reinforces my joy in this game.We watch William sisters, Maria Sharapova, Sania Mirza their moves , quick reflexive actions, attacking the net or chasing the ball, its like one exotic dance with rackets as dance props, well the courts are better than many dance floors of the world. ===========================================================

Sania Mirza 19 years old girl has improved her game, it’s a wonder watching her if we compare her old games to the latest ones. The difference is visible, the rapid corrections she is making to her play is very laudable, only recently she was a boney aspirant to the crown, now she looks and acts like a queen in waiting. How good use she is taking of her forehand, she has to work on her backhand, serve and defense, she is charging the net like never before. Yes I agree she has to cross many milestones in her tennis, but she has learnt to walk the walk and talk the talk only time is keeping her from crowns, she has learnt to absorb the glare and the glitter is just around the next bend, she has the grit to do it.

===========================================================

It is one thing to wear a nose-ring, dance sing a few songs come down the stage, no fan will say a word. But it is a very different ball game to wear that cute dazzling nose-ring and compete, sweat, grunt and struggle among professionals, manly, intimidating, talented who are more prepared than you, more experienced than you, more strong than you and more well fed.

Outwitting them is no cake walk, it’s a battle field paved with gut spilling and stomach crunching performance, it requires burning the very last ounce of strength left in the body. Sania Mirza is shouting to the world look at me, I pump iron, I work 8 hours a day, I compete, I have determination hard as a nail but still I am feminine, I am proud to look a girl, I am happy with my gender, I am CUTE.

This statement is loud and clear from every photo, every interview, every commercial made. We Indians are delicate in our tastes, the balance we attained in our spices are not achieved overnight, its a accumulated art of centuries, this is why global sports fans like this girl very much, for her statement of '' Proud to be feminine''

She is not a prodigy like Sachin to gain fame and following; she became famous for being in a tough sport and still believes in herself being a female. She has a power of her own, distinct from men, total female power, master in its own right and stature.

HERE WISHING HER WELL IN THE LAWNS OF THE WORLD TENNIS

No comments: